Thursday, October 20, 2011

Overhyped Products

I am admittedly a youtube junkie. It is my favorite thing to do on my downtime, settle in with some of my favorite youtubes and let them try the products for me. I don't have an expendable income to buy every new gimmicky product as much as I'd love to (and maybe one day) so I rely on beauty blogs (If you aren't reading Temptalia.com you need to start immediately!) and youtube videos to know whats out there and if it is worth my hard-earned dollars. This isn't to say they are always right and I've learned over the 2 or so years I've been watching them that you must not always feed into the current fad beauty item. But it's more do as I say and not as I do, because here I will let you know the products that did NOT tickle my fancy as much as some of the girls on youtube made me believe they would.

I'm going to start with the most controversial:
The Urban Decay Naked Palette. You're probably gasping right now. This was the most coveted, hardest to find, biggest waste of my time I've ever had. I stalked it online for a good month and a half before calling my local ULTA and finding that not only did they have 1 in stock, they had about 4 or 5. So off to ULTA I went to get my hands on this. My first ever "high-end" palette was the Urban Decay Ammo palette which I would recommend to anyone any day of the week, I used it probably 5 months in a row straight after getting it and there are some definite pan marks on it. But the Naked palette? BORING. When you put the colors on your lid and try to blend them together they become one murky, muddy mess. The only color i use somewhat frequently is 'Naked" because I like to use it to blend OTHER shadows out with. I did recently do a cute look (with my fingers because as I said most blending is no bueno with this palette) with Darkhorse all over and sidecar in the inner third and it looked nice, but the majority of the time I pull this palette out (I actually leave it out trying to get myself to use it) I end up hating the results and eye makeup remover them right off. What a waste of $44 dollars. At least at the time it came with an eyeliner pencil, which is actually pretty nice.

Phew, I had a lot of built up feelings about that it seems!

MAKE UP FOREVER Smoky Lash Mascara - $22. I've always stuck to drugstore mascara. Drugstore mascara has always been enough for me. I don't have crazy short lashes or really straight droopy lashes, my lashes have always been pretty decent and didn't warrant me spending $22 on a mascara. I probably could just make this category all high end mascaras I've tried, because I also hated YSL Faux Cils for pretty much the same reason I hated smoky lash. If you are going for tarantula leg eyelashes, this mascara is perfect. It is so thick and clumpy, you must wipe it off about 10 times before you can get a decent swipe. Its been about a year since I used it so thats about all I can remember of hating it...but I saw this raved about a few times on youtube and I was a sucker and bought it.


Mac Dazzleglass/Lipglosses: I am not a fan of MAC. I'll say it. I own probably 6-10 things total from MAC (a couple eyeshadows I never use, a blush that is hiding from me, two Viva Glam Gaga lipsticks, and a couple lipglosses, OH and about 4 Hello Kitty items). Their lipglosses and dazzleglasses taste DISGUSTING. From the get-go. First time you open it up and slather it on your lips? Tastes like straight up spoiled milk or something. I'd chalk it up to a bad one but all the ones I've tried smell awful. And the colors are not worth it to me.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Urban Decay Book of Shadows (the one from 2 years ago I think?): I never use it.

Smashbox O-Glow Blush: This did nothing for me. It'd be pink for about two seconds before blending into my actual skin color. Took it back because it was around 25 bucks to do nothing.

Benefit Powderflage: I use this, but it is an 'eh' product to me. I'm usually too lazy to do a seperate powder under my eyes.

KORRES Lip butter - Jasmine: I'm all about paraben-free, phthalate-free stuff, but this makes my lips greasy like crazy bad. I absolutely HATE the feeling of it. Gross. I'm glad I got it in a back with a Korres lipgloss thing because it is an expensive little lip balm on its own.

Stila Kitten eyeshadow: I don't see why this is as big as it is. It's a perfectly OK shade, but I hardly ever find myself using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment