Monday, July 11, 2011

Fake Personality

I work in retail. I have worked where I currently work for close to 4 years now. In that time, I have had to have a bubbly fake persona that I don't typically have. It's getting tiresome. I am a smiling, friendly person in general, but sometimes it gets to be too much. People make weird jokes and I can't force myself to laugh at them (and honestly, the majority of the time I don't even understand they are jokes).

The worst people are the ones who resort to yelling about things I've already explained I can't do anything to help them with. Things other stores have caused to happen, things that have always been that way, or just things the want to vent about. I don't have to deal with irrate people all that often -- but it is the worst. Most of the time I just don't even respond to them. They can yell and huff all they want and I'll go "I'm sorry" and that's it. I don't know if those people are used to using their anger to get their way or not. One of the things at our store is we can process payments, but we charge a fee for the service. It was not my idea of course, but people come in and say "I have to pay a FEE with my cash payment?" and get angry and curse us out when I very plainly and upfront tell them about the fee. I tell them within seconds of them coming in so there are no surprises. I tell them their other options for paying, but some people still will bitch and moan about us charging a fee. As if we are the only company with the audacity to ask for such a thing.

It just blows my mind how rude people can be to a nameless face working in a retail store. I am a human. You are a human. We both want to be treated in a fair and decent manner. I would not yell at you, why do you yell at me? And I'm supposed to smile and be fake through it? It is just so hard sometimes. I am always nice and polite at stores where I go to. If someone asked me to pay a fee, I would appreciate their offers of different ways I could make my payment and then make it somewhere else or a different way. What does it accomplish being pissy automatically?

No comments:

Post a Comment